Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes are a cheesy and delicious way to enjoy a classic vegetable in a whole new way.
Cheese melted on potatoes?! Yes, please!
I look at twice baked potatoes as mashed potatoes stuffed into a delicious potato skin. What is not to love about them? This is my classic go to recipe and it is perfect for a dinner party (these WILL impress your friends) or a weeknight when you want something slightly nicer than the usual. Featuring crispy, salty, and flavorful skins filled with a smooth, creamy, and garlic, onion flavored insides and are topped with more sharp and melty cheese.
I have been making Twice Baked Potatoes forever now. I remember watching Food Network and whatever show they made twice baked potatoes. The idea intoxicated me. It sounded so good, how had I never thought of the concept of these delicious things? I immediately made them and fell in love. And have continued to make and adapt the recipe over the years and this is the latest version. Perfect for when another baked or mashed potato doesn’t sound appealing to you.
- 6 small/medium russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 1½ cups of cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅛ teaspoon of onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon of garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and wash and dry the potatoes. Poke the potatoes with a fork and in a bowl coat them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the potatoes for 40 minutes or until cooked through. Once cooked, let cool for 10 minutes, and reduce oven temperature to 350.
- Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the guts into a large bowl. Add the butter and using a large fork or potato masher, mash the butter and potato guts together. Then mix in the greek yogurt, 1 cup of cheese, onion and garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the empty skins with the mixture evenly between them and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the over for 15-20 minutes.