Happy Thanksgiving! Well…tomorrow. ? One thing I look forward to most about thanksgiving is leftovers. I might actually like the leftovers better than Thanksgiving dinner! I know, crazy. I really LOVE turkey and turkey leftovers are even better, I never find myself bored of them. But one thing that does get a bit old after a few times (for me at least) are leftover mashed potatoes. And I ALWAYS make too many, in fear of not making enough! So while I work out how to make a reasonable amount of potatoes, you can keep reading for this Mashed Potato, Bacon, and Scallion Pizza because this is sure to liven up those leftovers.
If you want this to come together in less than 30 minutes then I highly recommend using a store bought dough. So many grocery stores these days stock fresh pizza dough. Also don’t be afraid to ask your favorite pizza place if they sell their dough, plenty of the them do! If you can’t find pizza dough (like me, our grocery stores often sell out of them before I get there) then just make your own. It is super simple, but I get it, sometimes you don’t have the time to wait for it to rise because life is hectic. Well that is how I felt the other week and I found this quick and easy pizza dough recipe and it is now my go to crust for days when I just don’t have time.
I also have to give a shoutout to Otto Pizza for the inspiration for this pizza. If you find yourself in Portland Maine or around Boston Massachusetts I highly suggest you go to Otto. Be sure to go hungry because every single kind of pizza I have tried there has been amazing, you will want to try a few and be adventurous!
- 1 store bought or homemade pizza dough
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 8 oz of mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup of leftover mashed potatoes
- 4 pieces of bacon
- 8 scallions, trimmed
- ¼ cup of parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 450 and cook the bacon until crispy, crumble it and set aside
- Press or roll the dough out to a circle or, like I did, to fit the cookie sheet. Transfer to lightly greased cookie sheet*
- Sprinkle the chopped garlic and ¼ cup of the mozzarella on the dough
- Crumble the mashed potatoes evenly over the pizza, don't try and cover the whole thing just add enough all over so each slice gets some
- Top with the bacon, scallions and remaining mozzarella
- Sprinkle the parmesan on the crust of the pizza for added flavor
- Cook for 15-20 minutes till crust is cooked and the top is golden brown
- Wait 5 minutes before slicing, I sliced into 18 slices