Enjoy veggies for breakfast with all the incredible flavor of a bacon, eggs, and cheese with these Zucchini Noodles with Poached Eggs and Bacon.
Pasta? For breakfast? Sign me up. Okay so it’s not “regular” pasta. But I am always looking for fun and innovative ways to incorporate more veggies into my breakfast. In fact one of my goals for 2016 is to include more vegetables into my diet in general. So when I was playing around with my new KitchenAid Spiralizer (which I am obsessed with!) the other morning, but was still in the mood for breakfast, I started to think how the two could be combined. And the Zucchini Noodles with Poached Eggs and Bacon dish was born. This is sort of a cross between a frisee salad with egg and spaghetti alla carbonara.
This tastes like pasta.
Has bacon and cheese.
It is GOOD for you.
What could be better for breakfast?!
When you break the egg over the zucchini pasta and the yolk runs be sure to mix it all in to coat every last noodle. The poached egg acts as a wonderful flavorful sauce. Trust me, when you eat this you will think it is so delicious it must be bad for you. But it’s not! And I fully believe that a little bit of bacon never hurt anyone. Everything in moderation.
- 2 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 2 med size zucchini
- ½ cup of fresh grated Parmesan
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a medium size frying pan over medium-low heat. Once cooked remove from pan and drain the fat.
- Add the shallot and garlic to the pan and cook for two minutes. While that cooks spiralize the zucchini and set aside.
- Once the garlic and shallots are cooked remove and add to the bacon.
- Add the zucchini to the pan and cook for 5-8 minutes to soften and to pull out as much water as possible.
- While the zucchini cooks down, poach your eggs in a small pot of almost boiling water with a splash of vinegar. Swirl the water and "slide" the eggs in, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 5 minutes. Then drain immediately.
- Drain the zucchini and pat dry between two paper towels*
- Mix the zucchini with the bacon, garlic, shallots, and Parmesan cheese. Top with the egg and salt and pepper and some extra cheese.