Quick and easy to make, these Buffalo Chicken Bites with Avocado Cream Sauce will keep you warm on a cold winter night.
This year I became a bit obsessed with a red and green theme for Christmas food. (obviously if you have seen my christmas fondue recipe then you know my love with red and green this year.) And while some might argue this red is a bit more of an orange, I am fine with that as these Buffalo Chicken Bites with Avocado Cream Sauce are delicious! They are perfect because my family LOVES spicy foods so incorporating more spice into Christmas will be a welcome addition.
First let me give you some back story on why I created an appetizer. For as long as I can remember, my family has had a Christmas Day tradition of serving appetizers for lunch. Personally this is one of my favorite traditions. We serve appetizers while our family arrives and it is the perfect thing to fill us up so we can open presents, but not too much food that we don’t have room for dinner!
When I was younger I decided to take over cooking the appetizers and the menu is full of some of my all time favorite foods. However when I was looking over the normal menu I realized that they independently don’t seem to have a Christmas theme. Don’t get me wrong, my family would riot it I didn’t make the same menu of appetizers each year. But the Buffalo Chicken Bites were born out of a desire to serve a more christmas themed appetizer this year.
These bites will warm you from the inside out on a cold Christmas day and the avocado cream sauce will cool down the heat if it gets to be too much. I also think these bites would be perfect for a super bowl party and that will be here before we all know it! Also the uses for this Avocado Cream sauce are endless. I spread some on a sandwich the next day with sautéed chicken, onion, and peppers, and some melted cheese. It was incredible!
I would love to hear your favorite holiday traditions, and hope you all have a wonderful and safe holiday season.
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup of buffalo sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 soft taco size flour tortillas
- 2 ripe avocados, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 5.6 oz (personal size) plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup of cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together the cream cheese, chicken, red pepper, and cheddar cheese until combined
- Spread the mixture on one side of each of the tortillas and roll up, place seaside down on a baking sheet lined with tin foil, and lightly coat each one with olive oil
- Bake for 15 minutes in a 375 degree oven until golden brown, let cool for 5 minutes before cutting and using a serrated knife cut each one into 4 bite sized pieces.
- For the sauce: Combine all the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth
Nutrition facts for 1 bite and 1 teaspoon of sauce