Football season is here. Go Team! 🏈 Okay so I am not a huge football person, although I LOVE hosting a super bowl party every year, mostly for the commercials and the food. Oh the glorious, cheesy, and unhealthy food! What would football season be without buffalo wings? But they are not the easiest thing to make, so recently when I was craving them but did have the time to make them I was inspired to take the flavors and make this Buffalo Chicken Chowder complete with blue cheese crumbles on top!
This was an instant hit. All the ingredients worked so well together. The vegetables, shredded chicken, spicy buffalo flavor and the blue cheese melting into it! Johnny and I fell in love with this one right away and so will you. This is the perfect way to warm up on a cool fall night and even better it’s healthy for you. This has quickly made it into our weekly rotation and I know you will love it too.
I wanted to take all the elements you get when you order buffalo wings in a restaurant and incorporate them into this soup. Chicken, buffalo sauce, blue cheese dressing, and carrots and celery. I will be honest, when I order wings I never bother to eat the carrots and celery.
Who has time for that? But I thought they would be perfect in this soup!
The definition of chowder is: a rich soup typically containing fish, clams, or corn with potatoes and onions.
So I had to add potatoes and onions to the other veggies. I decided to use shredded chicken because I didn’t want to spend time pre-cooking the chicken, you just throw it in when you add the liquids, simmer away and then shred the chicken and add it back in. Couldn’t be easier. And while I swapped out half and half for the usual cream this chowder is definitely still super rich. Especially when you top this off with blue cheese. I would say this definitely qualifies to be called a chowder, wouldn’t you?
For All You Ranch Lovers:
Are you more of a ranch person when it comes to wings? Never fear, I am here to help! I can also relate as I really enjoy both ranch and blue cheese dressing and I have two options for you:
- Drizzle some ranch dressing right on top! This was delicious however as it mixes in it looks a bit odd, but that doesn’t change how good it is so try not to let it weird you out. (hence no photo of this)
- Make Ranch Grilled Cheese Dippers: spread ranch dressing liberally on a slice of bread (I recommend sourdough or something long), top with shredded cheddar, butter the outside and cook about 5 mins on each side until cheese is melted and golden brown on the outside. Press the sandwich down while cooking. Once done, let rest for 3-5 minutes so cheese doesn’t ooze out when you cut it. Cut into strips, dunk and enjoy!
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 carrot sticks, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 quart of chicken stock
- 2 cups of water
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 lb of chicken breast
- ½ cup of franks buffalo sauce
- ½ cup of half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- 7 oz of blue cheese
- In a large pot melt the butter over medium heat and add the carrots, celery, and onions. Cook until translucent about 10 minutes.
- Add the stock, water, potatoes, whole chicken breasts, buffalo sauce, and half and half
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 40-60 minutes
- Remove the chicken and shred, add back and simmer for another ten minutes
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble 1 oz of blue cheese on each bowl