It’s September! And while I am sad to see summer come to an end, I am really excited for cooler weather and all things pumpkin flavored. In my head I have been yelling “It’s Fall! It’s Fall! It’s Fall!” even though I know fall doesn’t officially start until September 23rd this year (mark your calendars!) part of this stems from me being so excited to start pumpkin season and the other part is I can’t wait to welcome in the cooler weather.
I would say I have a love hate relationship with summer. I LOVE it when I can enjoy it, go to the lake, go swimming, relax in the sun with a margarita. However when it comes to the going about my daily routine in my Brooklyn apartment, I have no interest in doing everything while sweating through all my clothes. Hence the love and hate feelings.
So despite the fact that I think it’s fall now, its still 85 DEGREES OUT!
It becomes especially frustrating when it starts to affect my desire to cook. Lately it has been so hot that I just don’t feel like sweating into all the food I make and we only air condition our living room to keep down the cost. So I have spent most of the summer in the living room all day while only running out for more water or a snack but dread when I have to cook an actual meal. So instead I came up with some super quick cooking meals to avoid the heat. And these Mushroom and Black Bean Quesadillas were the super star.
This vegetarian meal is tasty and cheesy AND can be ready in 20 mins or less!
- 8 flour tortillas, soft taco size
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 oz Crimini mushrooms (or baby bellas)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup black beans
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Chili Powder
- Sriracha Mayo*
- 8 tbls Sour Cream (optional)
- Finely chop the mushrooms and mince the garlic
- Heat a medium skillet over med-high heat and add the mushrooms
- Once all the water has cooked out of the mushrooms add a dash of olive oil and the minced garlic
- Then add a sprinkle of each garlic, onion, and chili powder (if you like things really spicy then add more chili powder) and cook for 2 more mins
- Lay four tortillas out and spread a ¼ cup of cheese on each making sure to cover up to the edges
- Evenly divide the mushrooms and black beans over the cheese
- Add Sriracha Mayo as desired
- Then add 2 tbls of cheese on top of each and top with another tortilla
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over med-low heat, once hot add the first quesadilla
- Cook 5 mins per side until golden brown and cheese is melted
- Wait 3 mins before cutting into quarters